Did you know that on average your hot water heater will need to be replaced once every 10-15 years? Even with the required maintenance, a hot water heater will eventually fail and replacing it is inevitable. With that being said, you still shouldn’t neglect your only source of water heating and still perform the necessary maintenance.
Has your nice hot shower run cold at the worst possible time? Read below to find more information about hot water heater maintenance and problem-solving in the Sutherland Shire plumbing area/Call OP Plumbing Services 0417 299 820.
No Hot Water
Waking up to no hot water is probably one of the most irritating problems that can occur. With everybody trying to get ready in the morning, it is a problem that you can do without.
What do you need to do if you find yourself in this situation? The following points need to be followed before a plumber is called.
- Check that the limit power hasn’t tripped
- The power switch will be in your power box.
- If the switch is still on, your heater element or thermostat could need replacing.
Lukewarm Hot Water
The same goes if your water isn’t as hot as it used to be. Of course, water doesn’t need to be so hot that it can burn your skin but must be at a comfortable level and keep you warm during the winter. The following below can be checked if your hot water isn’t quite right.
- If you have a constant supply of lukewarm water it could be a problem with your heating element.
- If you run out of hot water quickly during a shower then there will be a problem heating element, thermostat or tempering valve.
- These problems will require a repair or a new unit
Water Leaking From A Hot Water Unit
Water leaking from your hot water unit might occur due to neglect or corrosion. If your water unit is leaking it’s important to get the leak sorted out as soon as possible, as a small leak will turn into a big one and the unit could potentially burst. If your unit is leaking, the following can be done to fix the problem.
- A leak from the water tank can be from corrosion.
- If your tank is corroded, you will need to drain the old one and replace it with a new one
- Your relief valve will let out excess pressure every time your tank heats water. When they fail they will let out water non-stop. You should pull the leaver on the relief every 3 months to prevent excess pressure and prolong the life of your hot water heater.
Hot Water Heater Maintenance Is Key
Your hot water is paramount in keeping your family happy; regular maintenance of pipes and heating elements can add valuable life to your unit and keep it heating for many years to come. Replacing your hot water unit should always be done by a professional and hot water heater maintenance carried out by yourself.
Are you looking to replace your hot water heater? Give OP Plumbing Services a call. Maybe you need some specialist plumbing work done? Your local Sutherland Shire plumber, OP Plumbing Services.